Dark Urine – Is It Bad?
Usually people don’t discuss such topics, even with the nearest one, but it still remains an important thing as the colour of your urine can show you that something inside of your body is going wrong.
In healthy people, the color of urine varies from orange to straw-yellow. Coloration depends on the amount of urinary pigment in the urine – urochrome. Expression of color can depend on the part of the day. If the dark urine persists for a long time, it can indicate the presence of some pathological process inside you.
What are the Reasons for Dark Urine?
It is not always when dark color of urine indicates a disease, that is why we can subdivide all the reasons into two groups: natural and pathological.
Natural reasons for dark urine are:
- Insufficient fluid intake.
- Increased physical activity or high air temperature.
- Eating certain kinds of food.
- Long-term treatment with certain medicines – vitamins C and Group B, antituberculosis, antimalarial drugs, nitrofuran derivatives.
Note: Normally, all people have darker urine in the morning, because over night, its concentration rises.
Pathological reasons for dark urine are:
- Hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver.
- Liver or pancreas cancer with violation of bile outflow.
- Metabolic diseases (porphyria, tyrosinemia, hemochromatosis).
- Kidney disease (urolithiasis, glomerulonephritis in the oliguric stage, polycystosis and kidney tumors).
- Cuprum poisoning.
- STDs like chlamydia.
What Should I Do if I Have Dark Urine?
If you do not know why urine becomes dark, you should listen to your doctor and your body.
It is necessary to be on the alert in those cases, when the change of urine color is combined with the following symptoms:
- Fever, chills, headaches and fatigue.
- Yellowing of the skin.
- Pain in the lower back, abdomen or right upper quadrant.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Frequent urination accompanied by pain and burning-like feelings.
Specialist’s consultation is obligatory if there is a mixture of blood, mucus, pus in the urine or it has an unusual and unpleasant smell. The doctor will find out why the urine has become dark and will give you prescription.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dark Urine
Question: What causes dark urine in pregnant?
Answer: If the urine has become dark during the pregnancy and the unusual color persists throughout the day, you need to consult your gynecologist who will prescribe the necessary examination.
The point is that during the pregnancy liver works harder, which can lead to an increase of bilirubin in the blood. That will affect the appearance of the urine. Another frequent pathology is gestational pyelonephritis, so you will really need to consult a specialist.
Question: What causes dark urine in men?
Answer: Blood presence may be one of the reasons or it could be elevated urine concentration. In any way medical attention is required. It also could be some STD-infection.
Question: Dark urine and back pain – what is it?
Answer: Actually here is no definite answer. It could be any kind of problem starting with jaundice and kidney or bladder stones and ending with sexually transmitted diseases and liver cancer. We don’t want to frighten, just want to you be more attentive to your health and ask for a qualified medical care.